VBA was a consultant for architectural restoration of this 1889 Italian Renaissance and Victorian Cathedral. The Cathedral’s restoration was an elaborate recreation of historic conditions, reviving the previous grandeur of this historic building. The restoration included a new liturgical plan that provided a new marble platform and steps, an altar table and wood raridose. The existing Cathedral’s interior had lost much of its decorative finishes and most of the religious iconography was deteriorated. Working with Evergreen Architectural Arts, the religious murals and iconography were restored and recreated. The decorative painting scheme was recreated based on analysis of existing paint samples, and the few historic drawings and documents, rooted in the 19th century historical Romanticism with elements of Italian Renaissance and Byzantine styles. The existing dome was covered with wood lattice and the dome finishes were destroyed. The dome was restored to replicate the historic condition and the glass occulus was restored. New wood confessionals were built to match the historic design and profiles. The existing chandeliers were refurbished and new chandeliers were replicated to match the existing. The Cathedrals stained glass windows were cleaned and re-leaded while new stained glass windows were designed for the Chapel. New wood floors were installed for the entire Cathedral, replicating the historic wood inlay design. The Cathedral’s infrastructure was also upgraded with new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire suppression systems. The Cathedral’s structure was reinforced for seismic conditions and ADA access was provided.
- Completed • Spring, 2005
- Construction Cost • $20M
- Project Size • 1400 Person Capacity